View Single Post
      01-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #109
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Thanks for the deluge of new information Scott!

I am very excited about the upcoming M2. However I have one big concern. The fact that a turbo 4 will be used will place the car in all new territory for an M car. Never before has an M car had to contend in such a crowded and competitive category since the original M3:

Front engine, Rear wheel drive, 4 cylinder.

The E30 M3 competed against rivals of its era within this same class, however it did so with the provenance of being a homoglation special for a truly historic race car. All the competitors mainly from the Japanese companies could not claim as much, as thus were never true direct competitors to the E30 M3.

That brings us to today. The M2 when released in 2-3 years will come without any sort of homoglation provenance, and will not have the same purity and focus for existence as the E30 M3 did. This being said, the M2 will be playing on a much more level and robust playing field with the competition.

The BRS/FRS will almost definitely have a turbo version out by the time the M2 is released. The Kia GT4 Stinger concept will likely become a reality. The next Miata is going to be amazing guaranteed. Nissan will almost definitely throw its hat into the game. Honda will likely wake up from its slumber and make a go at the game it used to be a leader at. The new Mustang is even coming into the segment and will be a true player, meaning definitely Chevy and maybe even Chrysler/Fiat will jump on-board.

I think it is clear where this is going, that almost every automaker is going to have a front engine, Rear wheel drive, 4 cylinder. Sure BMW's M division has the ability and history to knock this out of the park, but what worries me most is that they are just going to acquiesce right into the same exact game as everyone else, just at a higher price point. There won't be the uniqueness of a high-revving naturally aspirated engine or the uniqueness of an inline-6. The M2 will just be the most expensive and likely best of a massively competitive segment.

All the carbon fiber will definitely help along with the premium BMW badge, but when someone can take their pick of the extreme competition that will take place in the 20-50k segment... having the best one that costs 50k plus will be an uncomfortable position to be in. BMW will be asking for a premium price, on their entrant into what will come to be the "low-end" battleground of the performance market (at least in the eyes of those with the means to afford a 50k plus car). BMW will be asking the most money, in the least prestigious segment.

Personally, I feel like the M2 should have something that makes it stand out other than just more carbon fiber, a higher price point, and a BMW M reputation behind it. The car should innovate, it should do and be something different from the crowd.

Here are my suggestions, any of which alone would be enough to make it stand out:

1. High revving, naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. Buck the trend, do just one engine for the old schoolers. Or even better do a high revving, naturally aspirated 6 cylinder and blow everyone's minds and create an instant legend and attainable halo car.

2. A KERS system. Allowing an instant boost in acceleration at strategic times without the silliness and weight of a typical hybrid system. F1 tech tie-ins never hurt.

3. Active Aero or DRS or some kind, this however assumes that M2 would have large wings and spoilers. Taking a bit of F1 tech that is done in a simple/efficient manner would go a long way towards creating a racing pedigree.

4. Release it with true carbon bucket seats that fold and have side airbags built in. Porsche did it in 2008 and it was available in the US market. There is no reason BMW can't do that same.

Sorry for the length, but I just wanted to give all my thoughts now while they may still matter.
Really it's not that crowded. The entry level luxury performance sedan/coupe is really the CLA 45 AMG, Audi S3/RS3, and that's about it. I mean you could add the Porsche Cayman to the mix, but it's a true sports car.

All the other cars you listed are not really in the BMW's class. I don't think people will cross shop a turbo version the BRZ/FRS and the M2, nor will they do that with the upcoming IDx...those are entry level cars, not luxury entry level.

Also, you are asking for KERS, active aero, DRS, carbon bucket seats. All that costs money...which would drive the price up.
And you also asked for a high revving NA engine, that cost money to develop as well. And as you know, they have already stated that there is an end to the bespoked engines of the past.
It's cheaper to take the turbo four and boast it to 360-380 hp, with forged internals and other goodies than it would be to design a NA 4 cylinder that winds all the way up to 360-380 hp...it would be nice, but it ain't happening.
Appreciate 0