09-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #105
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Yea, I would be doing chargepipe injection. Unless I'm convinced otherwise. It wouldn't be until March or so that I would be upgrading to PS2.

I think I remember seeing your thread. It was the one with all the schematics and stuff that made my head hurt, IIRC... Actually, I saw it before I was interested in WMI, so I didn't read too much into it. I'll have to take another look.

What would you say are good IATs to prevent timing being pulled? I took two logs today, after updating to v5.8 93Oct Bm3 tune. If you could take a look at them and give your thoughts, I'd appreciate that. 2nd log shows my IATs getting up to 131F.

I'm still in the process of reviewing them myself.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d7001bfc090c652e3aa39b0
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d70036ac090c652e3aa39b1

DSC Off
Ambient ~84F
MPE valves open
Fabspeed Sport Cat
FTP Charge and boost pipes
Wagner Evo2 Comp
Eventuri Intake
I did a quick once over of your logs and they look good to me. But, I am not a log review expert, so please keep that in mind. I think the 130deg IAT's are just the normal heat soak you see with these cars. I don't have a magic number to tell you regarding heat soak adn timing pull. I do know that it's not only IAT's that factor into this equation, but at the very least you have coolant and oil temps. I've been discussin this with some "people in the know" and we're contemplating some additianl cooling on those two fronts, and maybe changing the temp regulation via computer tuning and / or colder thermostat. I am not even sure how that whole things works together yet, so it's just a theory at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
I think running without methanol at higher boost levels is kind of playing with fire... mainly for two reasons. One of which is octane, the other is heat soak. WMI adds a huge boost to octane and does a wonderful job of absorbing the excess heat produced from running higher boost through the PS2. Low-ish octane in addition to added heat, and running more power through the OEM block is a recipe for disaster! I would do everything you can to keep the engine happy, even if it's not necessarily needed. Water-methanol is rarely a bad thing!

That being said, if you're looking for 425 to maybe 450wHP, I think that's doable on 93 octane with mild timing assuming the 93 octane you have access to is actually 93 octane. I believe the OEM HPFP is capable of handling that.

I think the "near impossible" to hit 500wHP without the XDI-35 pump comment is a little extreme! Plenty of cars have made 500 wHP with the PS2 turbo well before the XDI-35 HPFP was available. Both PWG and EWG. Charge-pipe methanol injection would for sure have issues making up for the fuel volume required, but it can be done. Port methanol injection - 100% doable, and not very difficult I would say.

That being said, it also requires you to be very diligent in making sure your WMI setup is functional, and 100% operational. Not exactly "comforting" lol.

I agree with this. The PS2 definitely runs hot when running high boost, no doubt about it. I don't live in a hot climate, the max ambient temps we see here are about 95F (35C) without the humidex. Those days usually only last a couple of weeks in July/August, and then the temps hover around 80F (26C). in these temps the water methanol keeps my IAT's down, but you definitely see them start to come back up toward the end of a multiple gear pull. They definitely don't get "hot" to the point where I'm concerned, and I think in part that's because of how massive the CSF intercooler is - but I can imagine in much hotter climates this issue is a lot more of concern.

I don't see IAT's much higher than ambient, but I think that's just due to our not-so-hot climate!

switlikbob Did you ever figure out the HPFP noise? Are you using the BM3 XDI-35 option or is it a custom tune? I was wondering if you ever remedied the issue, or tracked down as to what caused it! Under what conditions did it occur? Can't wait to get my pump installed.
Endeav
(sorry, my spell check is broken)
A few comments on your post, which I mostly agree with

Heat soak, high boost, and low octane make engine go boom, for sure! The stock HPFP has no problems keeping up with fuleing at lower RPM's on the M2. It's that last bit of the dyno graph where you can see the fueling lean, and everythign start to fall apart. The XDI pump helps with that all througout the rpm range.

My "near impossible" comment was not clearly explained, my apologies. Of course with a proper "dual fuel" system like port injection, a proper controller and seondary fuel cell (e85 / meth tank) you can get enough fuel for well over 500whp. The problem that I have with a setup like that is....the secondary fuel controller. If that makes any kind of screw up, your motor goes boom. So yes, it can be done, but bye bye DME safeties.

I have similar expereinces with my IAT's now that I'm spraying meth/H2O. I ran my car for 8 hours straight of roll racing at Mpact a few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot of that was sitting in line waiting to race. But my IAT's were amazing close to ambient the entire time I was racing. Now, they did get up about 30 defgrees over ambient while I was waiting in line, but that's to be expected. I have the ER intercooler (and charge/tic pipes). It does an amazing job of battling heat soak. It recovers very quickly.

Regarding th epump noise; I have never been able to reproduce it. It always makes a little noise when the engine is running, but it only made the crazy squealing nosie once. It happened when the car was running for 1/2 hour, passenger had to go pee, car idled for 20 minutes and it started. After car drove off, it stopped. I was told it was excess pressure build up of fuel by TTFS, and it's normal due to the design of the fuel system. I am not losing any sleep over it. My car runs like a raped ape, always. Regarding my tune; I jumped on the MHD bandwagon. I wish I went with bootmod, but oh well. MHD has similar options that you can check (no cat DP, xdi pump, PR coil packs, etc.). So, my car was custom tuned at TTFS by Frank Smith, and he made the tune files loadable via MHD.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50