06-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #76
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Agree, keep the E46 and add to the garage later. I had a clean carbon black E46 M3. I still regret selling it to this day. I should have just kept it as they have held their value quite good.

E46 M3 tank is 16.6 gallons, 90% full would add another ~55lbs of fuel. Rear fold downs are about ~35lbs, rear bottom cushion another ~10lbs. That is another 100lbs right there. Plus whatever else you remove. You need to factor these things in, if you truly want to make an apples to apples comparison for the track.
The value retention is one of the big reasons I got another e46 M3.

Yes, I could potentially find similar weight savings on the M2, and your point is valid. Reason I hesitate to compare it in such a way, is because I don't know if they will be as easy to do on the M2. The weight reduction has been a process and evolved over time. I just recently started to remove the rear fold down seats for track events, because I realized it is literally one screw that holds them in place. Or the sub woofer for example. takes 2 minutes to remove. I have no idea how difficult these type of things would be in the M2, so I can't really count on them.
I honestly lost track where I am exactly with the weight, but I am thinking that even with a full tank I am not over 3200 lbs, or if, not by much at all.

In conclusion to all off this, I am leaning towards keeping the e46 M3, but if I were to get an M2, then a Competition almost makes no sense,because it was suggested that the best way to get the weight down is to get lighter seats and a lighter BBK, which are 2 out 3 reasons why I wanted the M2C in the first place. So that only leaves the better engine, which I doubt is worth an extra $10k. It looks to me like getting a lightly used M2 for around $50k, and modify it to my liking would be a better way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Have you considered a Cayman S/GTS? Either 981 or the new 718.

For 80% track it might be just the thing if you want lightness.
Yes, actually driven my buddies 981 Cayman S several times on and off the track. Great car, checks most of the boxes. My only complaints are, it's not a 911, has no rear seats and is under powered (or the gears are too tall). I smoke it on the straights and the lighter weight & balance of it, are not enough to make up the difference in the corners. In other words, it is pretty much on par with my car performance wise. But I do like them and would not rule it out as a possibility some day.

Last edited by norMcal; 06-05-2018 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 1