I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Thanks for the option. I'm already invested in this so I want to try and make it work. Really the only improvement I would like is to log all Core Data, have it auto start and stop w/o me having to press the button each time and trigger the GoPro which it cannot b/c it is already on WiFi but w/an iPhone holder I can use the iPhone camera.

How do you hook an external GPS to an iPhone?

This is the response I received about the GPS and data analysis...
The M Performance Drive Analyser is using the GPS data from your smartphone.
The GPS data interval is 1 Hz, exactly the same as the GPS interval from your car.

By the way, a faster GPS data interval does not necessarily mean a better accuracy.
The app is using a GPS data interpolation algorithm that produces 5 GPS positions per second
using TrackDrive. TestDrive is using speed and rpm directly from your car so that the
accuracy is at 0.1 second.

You can export .csv files and send them to your email account by using the EXPORT button in the TrackDrive archive. These files can be used directly by RaceRender tools.
FYI...You can also use iTunes to export all of the data.

So yes it could be better but I was pretty amazed at how accurate the ax course render was and the phone was next to the shifter not on the dash.
This is a good read to better understand GPS + phone capabilities with these sorts of track apps. The TL;DR summary - you want a higher sample rate than the 1Hz the phone can do, and you want a more accurate receiver if possible, mounted with a good clear view of the sky (far up on the dash / in the windshield, or outside the car if possible).

(TrackAddict is a competitor to Harry's and DriveDeck)

The external GPS box I have connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and Harry's Laptimer then polls it for GPS instead of the internal phone GPS.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0