10-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #53
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
In the end, heat is the killer. The RE71Rs wear fast in the heat and when they get too hot. If you can maintain a hot pressure of 34-36 or so "hot", they last much longer! I can go through a set of fronts in 3 days during the summer - no problem. The hot temps crack 40 and there almost isn't anything you can do about it. You just cannot drop the cold temp low enough without triggering a low temp warning, and who wants to drive slow. It is a give an take, put a few hard laps in and back off a lap or two.

The RE71Rs also like to "mild" initial heat cycle. The first session on new RE71Rs should be only a "warm up" session - don't get them hot! Then, let the tires completely cool down before the next session, if you can. Really helps their longevity.

Just attended a 3-day HPDE this past weekend with new RE71Rs on. The temps were cold in the mornings and cool in the afternoon, 50/60 degrees avg. Could maintain a hot temp of 35 on the nose. After three hard days (approx 10 lead-follow instructing sessions with students and 12 or so Open/Time Trial sessions), the tires look great! Easily 65% remaining with great all-around wear.
That's great to know. It was in the upper 90s a couple weeks ago here. I pulled the TPMS sensors from my track wheels, so I can start at lower cold temps. Will keep the first heat cycle in mind for the next set. Would driving to the track on them do the trick?

And the last set saw hot pressures over 40 psi one session (started at 27 cold). While later I was able to read 36 hot, maybe the damage was already done.

I'm still fairly new to the track, so backing off a couple laps is tough— fortunately there's usually a Vette or 911 holding me up for awhile and it gives my car a chance to cool down a bit.... 🤣