10-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #51
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
If you haven't done one before - I would definitely look into some kind of car control class. They can be excellent for building up the instincts & reflexes. I did one where they put the plastic donuts on the tires of a 300k mile Accord & scooted around the track at 20mph for two hours trying to keep in on track. Two of the best hours of track time I have had. Certainly improved my skill set - but just as important was the confidence it gave me to go to DSC off on my next track day.
I did several of the car club (BMWCCA, etc) car control classes early in my career and have s trucked at a few more recently. All involved some level of wet skid pad. It was useful in making the connection between inputs and what the car will do when you exceed traction limits. In fact, recently an acquaintance that hosts private track days also added a wet skid pad and I learned a lot more on it. They’re also pretty fun.

https://youtu.be/EJOnB9RHO44

But the speeds are much different, and you aren’t getting the same variables as you might on a track. Off camber corners, crests, surface changes, etc.

I also did a half day at Dirtfish Rally School on a February day, in a torrential downpour, so lots of sliding around. Also fun and good experience. I chose a BRZ rather than the WRX so it would be more applicable to the M2. Same as the skid pad though, much different speeds. It did provide more variety of traction levels and corner types though.

But I haven’t done anything like what you’re describing on a full size track. Sounds like a great experience.

I think the Porsche Experience Center and M Driving schools include some low friction training elements. I’d like to do one or both after COVID blows over. I had intended to sign up for one of them this year.

A lot of the clubs here discourage turning DSC off, so it wasn’t until I got the M2 and hated how much it intervenes, even in MDM, that I even gave it much thought. My previous car was much more cooperative in its track mode, allowing throttle steering and a few degrees of slip angle, and was much more subtle when it did intervene, so I never gave it much thought. Euro MDM and M4 GTS coding have mostly gotten DSC out of the way, but I definitely can feel power being restrained at corner exit with it on, so now it feels like the next logical step in my progression as a driver is to do away with it altogether.
Appreciate 0