02-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #116
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflaw View Post
How's the Ohlins on the M2C? I've contemplated it over feverishly but i was worried that it was going to make little noises.
I posted a mini-review in my previous post-

Quote:
For every day driving, Ohlins don't "crash" over bumps and dips in the road like the M2's stock suspension does. For whatever reason my apartment complex thought it would be a great idea to install those stone pavers (they're pretty gnarly) so on my stock suspension it would be pretty jarring and it would seem to "crash" over them, whereas the Ohlins float over them for lack of a better term. I won't say that you don't feel any vibration or that it's literally like an air ride suspension or something like that, but it definitely stays much more composed. As far as stiffness, they're definitely more stiff! But it's not the "so stiff I'm bouncing around everywhere with my teeth falling out" but you can definitely feel that it is stiffer.

For spirited driving, the steering feels more direct and the car definitely is more "planted" and I have a lot more confidence taking a corner. Body roll is diminished significantly. I'll know more once I push the car a bit but yesterday it was pretty cold so I took it easy. I can't underestimate the "direct" feeling of the steering now... Huge difference.

I am going to wait to fully open it up because I still need to get an alignment. I can tell that switching out the suspension has tweaked it a bit (which is understandable) and I went to do it yesterday but the place was so booked up and it was threatening snow so I didn't get it done. I'm hoping for this weekend.
As far as noise, I guess you can get some noises where the aluminum Ohlins rub against the steel connection points (specifically in the area in the photo below) but I haven't heard any. Silent. No creaking, etc. It's a good suspension.