View Single Post
      06-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

That polish is waaaay too aggressive for either the LCI display or the piano black HVAC surround, especially if you try to use it by hand. You're going to shred your gauges and get nothing but micro scratches on your HVAC surround if you use that stuff. Better to remove the surround and machine polish it (with an orbital) and some very fine compound like Menzerna 4000. Just leave the gauges alone and if they get dirty blow them off with compressed air or, at most, lightly wipe them with the fluffiest microfiber towel you can find.

There's nothing you can successfully polish the gauges with. They have a matte texture/coating on them - hand polishing will scratch them all to hell and machine polishing will make them shiny and illegible in daylight. Either way you'll get to buy a new gauge cluster for $1K.

I've had luck polishing the piano black surround in my wife's X3 with a 1" pad on a Flex rotary polisher but honestly it's quite a PITA if you don't remove the trim first. If you leave it installed, don't mask properly, and are otherwise not careful the compound slings everywhere and it's hard to clean up.

Heed my words - don't polish glossy plastic by hand! You'll be sorry you tried! Either just buy a new HVAC trim piece, remove and machine polish it, or leave it alone.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50