View Single Post
      04-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Actually test drove the R8 V10 and felt it was one of the more adept in handling both track and daily drive than some of the track cars. The reliability concern never crossed my mind then.

The A6 I drove had about 8,000 miles on it. As mentioned, the ride was Mercedes air suspension plush like ride. It indeed works well for for highway cruising. However, the steering was a bit light, perhaps less reassuring and precise than I would prefer around the mountain pass. The build quality and coachwork was nice. The trunk space was surprisingly ample. The fuel economy compared to other sedans in its class was extremely good as well.

As for the Euro based rental company, I've had very positive experiences with them over the past five years. Albeit, I must admit that I've only had a chance to drive their BMWs and Mercedes before renting the two Audis. If it weren't for the fact that I experienced two similar failures on the same day with two different Audi models, I would share the same fortitude in giving the brand another try.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. It's just that rental fleet are the worst maintained cars usually driven by people who go out of their way to abuse them.

A6 - Yep, agree about the steering & definitely not a canyon car. I assume the rental spec doesn't come with adaptive suspension, which makes it even more mushy.

FWIW the R8 shares little with A6/Q5 and is manufactured at a different factory altogether.
Appreciate 1