04-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
You want an cross-off an R8 from your list because of a few bad rental Audis?

What rental company is it? I get rental A4s from Silvercar and they're usually top notch. Remember, rental fleet is always the worst because people beat on them or damage them and many aren't serviced at all. I wouldn't come to any conclusion based on rental car experiences. If so, my experience with a MINI as a rental car was terrible and it smelt like gas all the time. But that never stopped me from trying one and eventually buying an R56 MCS.

I used to lease an '13 Audi A6. It wasn't particularly exciting to drive, but is a great long distance cruiser. The steering was light but weighed up ok at high speeds. Never had any issues or a single rattle. Build quality and interiors is something Audi is very good at.
Actually test drove the R8 V10 and felt it was one of the more adept in handling both track and daily drive than some of the track cars. The reliability concern never crossed my mind then.

The A6 I drove had about 8,000 miles on it. As mentioned, the ride was Mercedes air suspension plush like ride. It indeed works well for for highway cruising. However, the steering was a bit light, perhaps less reassuring and precise than I would prefer around the mountain pass. The build quality and coachwork was nice. The trunk space was surprisingly ample. The fuel economy compared to other sedans in its class was extremely good as well.

As for the Euro based rental company, I've had very positive experiences with them over the past five years. Albeit, I must admit that I've only had a chance to drive their BMWs and Mercedes before renting the two Audis. If it weren't for the fact that I experienced two similar failures on the same day with two different Audi models, I would share the same fortitude in giving the brand another try.
Appreciate 0