View Single Post
      03-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #49
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Do people feel masata gear is any good? Evolve did a recent quick product over view on YT of N55 chargepipe, looked ok but the finish to me always looks odd like it's slippery lol.

Imran mentioned CNC machined end adaptor points but don't really know what is standard anyway?
Based on the YouTube video, the Masata type looks to me to almost certainly be either be an exact copy, or a re-branding (more likely) of the FTP pipe. The finish is identical, and so are the fittings for TMAP etc. Interestingly, even the meth bung plugs are identical to the FTP, and they're awful. They don't seal properly, and should be replaced with inexpensive 1/8 NPT plugs rather than those stupid bolts with O-rings that they provide.

The FTP pipe is fine, and a good compromise between cost and functionality. I replaced the meth bung plugs that I mentioned above, and the terrible cheap jubilee clamps with upgraded parts (and sold them with it), which made it much better.

What I didn't like about it, and the only reason I sold it, is that the upper meth bung is pointing directly at the TMAP sensor. This makes it totally unusable, and is simply not well thought out. As soon as the water / meth injection starts, it sprays onto the TMAP sensor and gives an artificially low temperature reading. In extreme cases, like flooring it from a standstill, this would put the engine in limp mode because of an unfeasible change in IAT over such a short duration.

I swapped mine for an ER product, and I think theirs is the best charge pipe available for the N55. A little more expensive, but the quality is top notch, and the meth bungs are in a much better location.

Yes, all the end adaptors on charge pipes that I've ever seen are CNC machined... nothing new there.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 3
JTO245274.50