Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I've been running the stock plastic charge pipe for going in 4 years with a JB4 & Dinan Stage 1, at different times, seasons and temperatures, including a lot of 3am, "spirited" driving, in Mexico, of course - yet, never had a single issue..

I don't want to say that the OEM pipe on BMWs are flawless because there have been some notable examples of them cracking and it would not be fair to the folks that experienced unwarranted failure but I would venture to say this is mostly an issue to be addressed, if pushing a higher mileage vehicle or above-average boost levels.

After all the fear-mongering that was disperse here, throughout the years, regarding this potential failure, I was expecting it pop, at any given moment. I even had backup duct tape, replacement clamps and couplers, ready to go but ultimately I never needed it.

I still have warranty left, so I'm going to ride out the risk of it failing over replacing it with an aluminum pipe because of a few reasons.

One, being that a metal pipe would severely heat-soak over plastic and I believe it's kind of asinine that aftermarket aluminum pipes are claiming ultimate durability, when some utilizes silicone couplers and elbows, which is a form of rubber, vulnerable to expansion or ballooning.. It's almost seems like they're trading one potential design flaw for another and disguising this glaring fact.

Also, the end connect of an aluminum pipe retaining the OEM C-clip doesn't make a flexible mating hold to TB/housing, as the plastic pipe contours and does. Metal to metal would never flex and could potentially slip out, when vibrated.

Ultimately, the plastic pipe has been good to me and if it ever pops, I'm just going to chuck it up to wear and tear and replace it with an OEM piece..
well if you think about it germany doesnt get that hot. Yes, they do test it them in death valley but only for a few weeks but thats it.

If you live in a area where summer temps can hit 120F plus the high temps of the engine...it'll wear out the plastic faster. Also on top of the heat weakening the plastic, you have movement from the engine and boost pressure from inside of the pipe itself putting stress on the pipe.

your also over exaggerating the aluminum pipe heating the air. The air thats going to the charge pipe is already cooled by the intercooler and is traveling at a very high speed at a very short distance. i doubt the fact the charge pipe is metal will have much of a effect on intake temps...the intercooler would have most the influence on that.

I have vrsf aluminum charge pipe and csf intercooler and my intake temps are already 20 degrees cooler then stock and at a higher boost level.
Yea? So you believe heat-transfer is not an issue with an aluminum pipe?

Try putting a aluminum can of soda in a freezer for less than 5 mins and touch it afterwards, then come back and tell me aluminum doesn't severely transfer ambient temperature..

Plastic is obviously a weak conductor of temperature, hence the reason it's used in all automotive, heat-sensitive components, such as intakes and charge pipes. Even the M2 OEM intercooler is encased in plastic, not because they hate you but a practical reason for reducing heat insulation.

I'm glad that the aluminum pipe works for you and since you already have one, I don't expect you be objective but I see a few faults in a pipe made out of a metal and it strikes me as kind of suspicious that only a few third-rate, aftermarket companies even offer a replacement pipe.

The Dinan tune pushes 445HP/455TQ for their Stage 4 tune but confirmed that replacing the charge pipe is not necessary and don't any reason to engineer an enhance version.

Like I said, I have warranty left, so If pops, I'll just drop the car at the dealer and grab a loner car.

I predict I'll get another 50k out of the OEM plastic pipe, I don't have to worry about heat-soaking, the fit and finish is perfect and it's covered, should it fail. So It's a sacrifice I'm willing to live with.
my statement is based on real life data from my m2 that show its not a issue.

its not bias, but data that i base my statement on.

if you dont believe me, you can go into the mhd and bm3 threads and look at other users data logs yourself.

Their some logic in your claims, but no actual data to support your statements..hence your basing your statements out of pure conjecture
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0