01-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk1012 View Post
I'm new to the M family. But I gotta be honest. The inclusion of M Performance doesn't really bother me. I don't think in this competitive market that BMW could have afforded to not make more true M models (X3/4) and more appealing M Performance. I'm just happy we have these options at all.
They don't really need to slap M merch on every most-powerful non-true M series, especially the FWD crossovers and hatchbacks. We went from having 340i's and 550i's to M340i's and M550i's.

E92 335is was a more unique car than whatever the M340i is today, an "M Automobile" car which still has got a one-wheel peeler in the back.

M235i - same recipe as the oft-forgotten 135i but now with added badges and an aggressive ///Marketing campaign that's had every single journo comparing it to old M cars and screaming "BMW BACK TO THEIR ROOTS." 135i was just a stock E82 with a big engine with some Brembos and added cooling. M235i was no different.

If you compare a regular 3 Series to an M3, there are so many visible and hidden differences that it truly is worth the M badge and WBS VIN tag.

I mean, you can't fault BMW because Benz be doing the same. I distinctively remember that they had the C 450 AMG Sport which was after one model year renamed to C 43 AMG. And buyers either don't mind this strategy or just love it.