Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
Anybody here from manufacturing?
How dramatic could be the cost increase of production if they offered more shades of leather other than black?
Yes me. Automotive manufacturing to be exact. And it depends on what type of color you're after, same seat with the only difference being stitching and M logo on it? Judging by bmw M2 seat and it being shared with pretty much most F cars across the line in some way it wouldn't be expensive.

It all boils down to what type of agreements and deals they have with their supplier. The more they obviously buy the more cheaper. But also take into account of its something difficult to do or extremely rare that requires it leaves normal assembly process it will cost much more.

I'll give an example and hopefully it makes sense. Parts in my plant that normally one would pay $100's thousands of dollars to replace at dealers are Relatively dirt cheap. I specialize in enclosures. Glass to be exact. Our 2 pane sound screen windshield with rain sensor bracket and mirror (high series) from PGW (supplier) literally costs $88 to scrap. Yes they break all the time. One of these will set you back $600-700 at the dealer. We buy so much it's just normal business (bulk). I see modules and parts get dropped that cost an arm and a leg and just get tagged for scrap.
I don't think a red seat or saddle brown would be so out of the ordinary and hella expensive but would they do it is the question.

Imo it wouldn't be difficult or more expensive but rather bmw just chose to only have 1 color to "be" sort of more simple or unique to a purist stand point.