infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
You can if you insert the right to unilaterally amend the agreement.

Do you really think Facebook hasn't changed it's terms/agreement with you at least 100 times in the past year? They have, and you agreed to let them do it when you first signed up (don't ask me how I know).

That being said, usually with material terms like warranties, courts have dealt with this type of scenario in four ways (all assume they reserved the right to unilaterally amend the terms):

1 - if a negotiated doc, new changes apply
2 - if non negotiated, only warranty requirements/obligations at the date of purchase are enforceable without both parties agreeing to the amendment
3 - if non negotiated, and warranty changes are extreme variations, whole agreement is thrown out
4 - if non negotiated, court holds that hey you were put on notice that they could change the terms at any time, you had an obligation to check on them periodically, thus it's your fault and the new changes apply

Which path the court takes depends on the context of the specific agreement and the applicable state law
I didn't get into the weeds, but this is a material term. A unilateral contract change of a material term isn't going to fly. For example, if you have this "unilateral contract change" term in the agreement as bolded above imagine if you say, ok we've decided to completely revamp the warranty so that if you drive over 5k rpm, the warranty is voided. No way that change is going to be enforced.

For websites and such, they usually have a notice of the term and then say "by continuing to use Facebook you agree to this change..." so that there is some form of consent.

Last edited by infinitekidM2C; 02-06-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0