Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
Trying to get back to the root cause of the issue here, can someone explain why there isn't consistent failure on the right and left side?

The predominant failure is on the right, though some have reported occasionally on the left. What could possibly be the difference between the two sides?

If it's a grounding issue, as some have suspected, aren't they both ground the same way?
The root cause was figured out in 2016. There is insufficient grounding for the bulbs. There is an active TSB for 2016 and 2017 vehicles for this. I am working with a dealership to get it approved for vehicles newer than that. My dealership covered it under warranty sans that. However, without warranty it costs a total of $76 to the owner for them to repair and replace both tail light parts, and the repair is warrantied itself. Many many people have had this repair done over the years and have not had a single issue since.

Do not disable your bulb checks. It's the equivalent to taking the batteries out of your smoke alarm. Stops the beeping but doesn't stop the fire.
Appreciate the response, and definitely understand your position.

But you didn't answer the question I'm personally most interested in...if it is a grounding issue, why does it predominantly impact the right side? Aren't both sides ground the same way?

Seems reasonable to expect that there would be a roughly equal rate of failure between the right and left side if they were ground the same way. Assuming they are, I'm lead to believe there is something else at play here too.

Edit: do you have the TSB number? Would be interested to read and provide to my dealer next time I'm in for service
Appreciate 0