04-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #376
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Wooowie Racerbruce us M5'ans fast on the draw. Before you even contemplate doing this you'll need a plastic trim removal set a must plus a model set scalpel.The carbon sheet material comes in a few paterns, mine is satin wrap and make sure the wrap you get is suitable for use outside the car.I got about a 1 metre by 1/2 metre enough for the job from UK seller so there are plenty on US e-bay sites for this product for you to choose from. You remove the vent sides complete and care needs to be taken unclipping the unit direct then whats harder is removing the chrome trim surround--easy to break! Put the main black bit back re connecting the side indicator plug first and take the surround inside.
Clean it with poly alcohol and on the inside too then cut out from carbon sheet what you need with about 8mm overlap-important. Use hair dryer to soften the wrap and do a bit of length at a time folding the wrap to the back, don't apply too hot..you may get it wrong at first and do better job second time around.Around the sharp turns you have to slice the wrap 7-8 times away going away from turn so that the curve 'turn folds' making a nice round finish.Need some patience! Then give it a good press with fingers at back to really make it stick and click back in, again carefully and you've done one.
My UK M5 friend - this is incredible! It looks so great - you approached it so professionally and with great precision.

I'll pull bits I want wrapped and mail them to you for your "rocket-science treatment"!

My payment for your great work is fish & chips and a pint (or two) at your local UK pub (I wish!!!!)