cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
This limited colour thing just doesn't make sense. If a guy comes out in his mobile van to fix a mark on your car he keys in the colour code and the colour gets mixed. So why can't a multi million euro paint plant in a BMW factory not paint a car any colour the customer wants?

Even my local shop can mix paint for my walls at home

Just sounds like a smoke screen within BMW with a no can do attitude

Because your local paint chip guy isn't turning out 730 plus cars a day, and needing to run three shifts at the paint booth to do so.

Yes. I've taken a tour at Leipzig ... Having seen the paint booths and being told that the paint Booth IS the limiting factor for the plant ... so much so that the line has two shifts and the paint booth has three...

The paint booth at leipzig is very high tech and features a nearly 100 percent waste recovery system not unlike a car wash. Imagine changing out the fluid in an entire water system in a car wash to change colors and you begin to get the idea.

Smoke screen. Lol. You couldn't be further from the truth. While it may be ANNOYING that they only use a total of about 24 colors in that plant... it's not like they are fibbing. Sheesh.

Whether they are limiting the colors by choice or by necessity ,They are cranking out VOLUME. And a 456 color palette wheel for customers doesn't exactly help achieve that goal.
Funny how someone like Porsche could paint my GT4 in just about any of their paint to sample colours. Yet BMW find it too difficult. Porsche just do the individual paint in batches you wait longer for the car but you get the colour you want. So if BMW thought about it they could offer the CS with say 2 individual colours and just build them in a batch. Not difficult
Appreciate 0