10-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
SRF and track pads is a solid plan, you will have no issues there. If you run your stock PSS and this is your first time at the track you will be absolutely fine with DS2500's, even the stock pads would probably work but just degrade fast. Running with MDM on will eat brakes quickly.

I would start on your stock PSS, RE-71's are incredible but better to move up to them later. Get a feeling for the car with stock wheel and suspension setup.

My first ever 3 track days I ran PFC-Z rated which is very similar to DS2500's with street Michelins with no issues on my e90 which is heavier with a less capable brake setup. Once you get fast enough to overheat the Michelins and they start feeling squirmy, you can move up to a streetable track tire (i.e. RE-71, Cup2, RS-4).

Keep your eyes up, stay sharp and have fun!
Thanks for the feedback. Here's my thinking behind the dedicated track tires:

My local tracks are Daytona and Sebring. A set of RE71s are roughly the same cost as PSSs.

If I ran the stock PSSs, I was concerned that I may be left with fairly worn tires for street use, and they likely would not pass inspection for a second HDPE early next year (I'm in Florida ). If correct (big "IF"), I would then have to buy another set of PSSs (for street use), and repeat the cycle after the next HDPE.

If I ran the RE71s now, I would spend the tire money up front, but they would last several track events, and my OE PSS would be good for a couple of years (at least). I will only drive this car about 6k miles/year on street. I do appreciate the point that these better tires may keep me from learning the car gradually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

Montaver is spot on - I just want to expand on the tires a bit more. A more street oriented tire like the PSS is typically going to be more forgiving & easier to drive. The breakaway & recovery characteristics will usually be better suited for a beginner. And not being as "fast" as say an RE71 you will be finding the limits at lower speeds. In my opinion this sets up most drivers to more quickly & better learn car control at the limit - a huge step in a driver's progress. Also keep in mind that stickier tires will be harder on the brakes - so don't out tire whatever you end up going with on the brakes. RE71 aren't slicks but are a noticeable step up from PSS.

Also camber plates - if you find that you enjoy it & start tracking more then might want to consider them pretty early. Will pay for themselves in tire savings.
Really appreciate the feedback (I'm learning a lot on this forum)! I definitely want to learn and improve my skills gradually. I may be a little excited and overestimating my ability to use up PSSs on one weekend )!

Camber plates, yes! On my radar!

I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this, regardless of setup. This car is a blast and track days have been a bucket list item for a long time! 😊
Appreciate 0