08-30-2019, 06:19 AM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
The question remains..

street: PS4S even in larger size 275/305-30 should be confortable, maybe little more tramlining ? Anyone can confirm ?

Track: RE71 for sure but oem wheel size 255/285-35 still that big of a gap vs above ?

Keep in mind all track sessions I run are 20min max and I often have to drive 3 hours just to get to the track.
Sounds like you’ll have to try it and let us know.

I’m guessing your experience will be similar to what I mentioned, and the times will be similar, too. Regardless of sizes, the 71R will be better under braking and to midcorner bc of it’s softer compound and it can consistently hold 1.0-1.1g. The 4S is 0.9-0.95g.

But the much larger contact patch of the wider 4S setup will be as good or better coming off the corners, which is the most important point on the track to make up time.

As I mentioned, the setups drive completely differently. You’ll have to be very patient in the corners with the 4S and will get frustrated as the guys around you on stickier rubber will pull away. But if you drive to the tire’s capabilities you’ll figure out how to best exploit it.

I will say big fat rubber like you’re thinking is no fun on the street. It makes the car feel heavy and less responsive.

You probably know a lot of this, so you’ll have to run the experiment and let us know the outcome. The best thing about tires is you can resell them or burn them up and try others.
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50