Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My theory is the people crying about higher-end M cars are upset because they can't (or don't want to) afford them. Their fragile egos seem to take a hit when they realize they don't have the "ultimate" M model of their car. Thus they craft weak explanations of M dilution.
I don't think that is the issue here. What we're seeing is a trend that BMW enthusiasts have been complaining about for years. Having an ///M logo on a vehicle used to feel special. It doesn't feel as special anymore. We all care about exclusivity to some degree when it comes to buying high end vehicles (...otherwise you'd go buy an entry level Kia or Corolla and call it a day, so don't sit here and act like you don't care at all about how your choice in vehicles is perceived by others.
I disagree.

The people who might see me in my M2C have no idea who I am, have absolutely no influence on my life, and I'm certain could care less about me as the driver of the M2C. They may admire the car, but their perceptions of me will never be known, nor do I care.

We can't buy a 405 bhp Kia or Toyota ... well maybe a Lexus ... right?

Did you buy your M2 for yourself, or to impress others?
I don't own an ///M2. I own an ///M4. No! I didn't buy it for others, BUT I do recognize that I like nice things, and with owning nice things comes a perception. Admit it. Deny it. It doesn't matter. It's fact. It's the same reason that you're likely not wearing Wranglers, non-name brand shoes from Payless, or a Timex sourced from CVS Pharmacy.

.....and if they sold a 405 BHP Camry, I highly doubt that you would've seriously looked into it much like someone shopping a high powered BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc. coupe doesn't really look [that seriously] at a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/etc. (...generally speaking). Let's not kid ourselves here with power statements when we all know that the prestige holds weight.
Whatever.

What I drive matters little to anyone but me. If you feel some sort of prestige owning a M4 - more power to you, I guess.

The only point that you and I am in agreement with concerns the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Charger etc. I would not own any of those - not that they're not good cars - I just have zero interest in them.
Appreciate 0