01-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #590
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
The evidence is clear through the posts here. People consider warranty and maintenance as interchangeable. They are NOT, but are seen as the same. This is the very reason why it was a bad move. So the average(non M) buyer is loosing an oil change or 2 and some wipers, but believes that the larger(warranty) items will/might not be covered. That is bad for the brand. A very small cost cutting has the effect of putting doubt in the consumer's mind. That is penny wise, pound foolish. The smarter move would have left the term and merely removed brakes and clutch. Cost saved without damaging reputation. I hope the executive that came up with this finds a new position at VW ag.
I don't think most see warranty and maintenance as interchangeable and if they do, when they find out what the warranty coverage is and it hasn't changed, how will they then realize that the maintenance coverage is something different and is somewhat less than it used to be (but reality is better than everyone else's)?

Basically the average consumer isn't here but goes to his BMW dealers and asks what the warranty is, the dealer tells him and it is very similar to everyone else's. I don't see this uneducated consumer then asking what the maintenance coverage is, confusing it with the warranty, thinking this maintenance is lower than everyone else's and then deciding to not buy a BMW.

Reality is BMW decided lower coverage will increase overall profits and some here think it is the wrong decision (because they don't like to lose what they used to get). Time will tell.

Last edited by David70; 01-15-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1