View Single Post
      01-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #574
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
We do it all the time. Hardly replace rotors, usually good for the life of the car. Acuras tend to be less hard on rotors I guess. Most of our cars have a full 2mm between new and worn out. You can machine a rotor many times before you cut off 2mm, well, as long as you are doing it properly. Worked on a TSX not long ago that had 700,000 km, and still had the original rotors front and rear.

It is much more accurate to machine the rotors on the car, machining them on a lathe is not precise enough. When you do it on the car, it is taking into account the runout of the hub as well to make a surface that is running perfectly true.

Acura says we can ONLY machine them on the car for this reason.

I don't care how hard you drive the car, that will not warp a rotor. I have been heavily involved in racing for many years. Racecars don't warp rotors, and we literally get them glowing red. You may get terrible pad transfer from stopping the car with overheated hot pads, but not warped.
Assuming you are correct, you just dispelled an urban myth that has been around for decades :-)
Appreciate 0