02-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #1336
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
"Rolling the dice?" I don't understand. You've already paid for it. Literally takes 10 seconds to turn CarPlay back on and try with no additional effort or lasting effects. Switch it back off if you don't like it. No rolling of the dice required.
Thanks for the helpful suggestion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
It's basically just an extension of your iPhone. Select the app you want to use and use it.
It wasn't the last time I tried it - it gave constant problems, played random music, interfered with navigation, what microphone it used when you wanted to make a call was anyone's guess and it spontaneously disconnected. This was with iPhone 6s handsets (at the time a 2 year old device). My partner and I had both the same phones and there was no logic as to whose phone would be connected.

Until I experienced this myself, I couldn't understand why some folks passionately hated CarPlay. I was relieved when I turned it off, and I've not bothered for a couple of years, mostly as the internal system is so good.

And my experience wasn't that it was an extension of my iPhone: I've had about 6 iPhones now, and all (bar the iPhone 5) were solid/reliable handsets that gave me very little trouble. Apple CarPlay was garbage, but as some folks find it useful, I thought that I'd ask as usually there is good advice available via the forum:
  • Maybe I am doing something wrong and it should be easy..?
  • Maybe the dealer configured something that is interfering with how it should operate..?
  • Maybe an update to the car firmware would help...?

If there's not a useful video, no problem to keep going with the internal system

Cheers,
Appreciate 0