View Single Post
      02-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpham View Post
I have a E60 535i with the N54 engine for about 10 years now and after 60K miles, I started to have sluggish accelerations and lower MPG's. I took it to my mechanic and he suggested getting a walnut blast procedure done to clean my valves. After he took off the manifold, he showed me the caked on carbon that built up over the years. After the cleaning, the car was like new again.
I'm sure carbon build up will occur for the S55 engine as well, but would installing a catch can really be effective? Has anyone here have it installed and how much gunk does it really catch. I'm sure the cost for a walnut blast is twice as much on the S55.
Funny, I just helped my buddy over the weekend install new plugs and coil packs on his tuned e92. While we were at it we removed the catch can which he hadn't emptied in about 9mo. It was about 25% full of oil and sludge. So is it worth it? I think so.

P.S. The new S58 has a revised PCV system and has a filter for blow by gasses to help prevent buildup. If you love geeking out on technical guides like I do you may want to give this a read. The PCV section is from pages 20-22, but the entire document is full of great info on the S58. Technical Training Guide S58 Engine
Appreciate 4
kpham189.50
Mavus2026.00
ChrisK4449.00