First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Good for BMW. Tesla has a substantial lead in brand, technology and design when it comes to electrics. Porsche and BMW need to catch-up fast. Doubt GM or Ford can as electric does not appeal to their customer base.
Ummmm...the Chevrolet Bolt is Car of the Year; beat the Tesla Model 3 to the market, and is by all accounts a phenomenal vehicle...for $35,000. I can't see a BMW 3 series playing either at this technical level OR this price point.
The Chevrolet bolt is also butt ugly, tiny, front wheel drive, and not remotely interesting. It's a Nissan Leaf that has longer range. Boring. Worse, it's a $35,000 Honda Fit. Who wants that?

Tesla has been so successful because they are making desirable cars that are competitive in their price range. If you're looking to spend $70-100k on a car, you could either buy a 5-series/7-series or you could buy a Tesla Model S. Both cars are sporty and luxurious. One is electric the other is gas. If you're a progressive or environmentally-minded person, the Tesla is the obvious choice.

On the other hand, if you're going to spend $35k on a car, you could buy a 3-series or a chevy bolt. I'm a fan of electric cars, but I'd take the 3-series every time. It's in an entirely different league of performance and luxury (not to mention style). If the Tesla Model 3 is remotely competitive with the BMW 3er in terms of sportiness, quality, and luxury then that would be the obvious choice (we already know the Model 3 is stylish).

I predict the Model 3 is big competition for the BMW 3er, Audi A4, etc. Apparently BMW thinks so too...
Appreciate 0