01-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #110
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would get the M3 in a second.

Think of it this way - The E9X M3 is similar to the Ferrari F355 in terms of overall performance and likely outperforms it in many ways. Don't you think F355 owners would have the same reaction when they test the two head to head with one being a decade older? It's the same concept.
Exactly! A car's place in history is tied to the moment in time it was introduced. The best exotics of 20 years ago are now being matched or beaten in many areas of performance by much "lesser" cars. What does this prove? Not much. A 1995 Ferrari 355 accelerated 0 - 60 in 4.5s. A 2008 Audi R8, 13 years later achieves similar performance. To me, this only proves just how ahead Ferrari was 13 years ago!

The F355 was the first road car in the WORLD to have a clutchless sequential (F1) gearbox. Others introduced this a decade later! Is it fair (or meaningful) to compare the two? Not likely. The F355 will go down in the history books as bleeding edge in numerous areas, including a 5 valve per cylinder V8 and completely aerodynamic underbody. Other cars that can match its performance today may just be "nice cars" but not historically significant now or EVER.

The BMW M cars, including the e46 M3, have always brought something groundbreaking to the table. The e46 M3 brought super high ratios of HP to displacement for the time, along with plenty of other new tech... I don't think anyone will be having a conversation similar to the F355 or e46 M3 in 15 more years regarding the Fiesta ST!

Any true enthusiast is going to take an e46 M3 over a Fiesta.
Appreciate 0