07-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #36
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
I recently watched a Top Gear (or was it Evo?) track comparison test of the 1M and the Cayman S, and the S ate the 1M's lunch, at least in terms of it being a better driver's car.
I watched that video, and based on that the statement above sounds like a misrepresentation. Steve calls the 1M "close... but not quite as good" as the Cayman R, the 120 lbs lighter, more powerful version of the Cayman S. Meanwhile as I said the guys over at EVO compared these same two cars and put the BMW on top slightly, so it's clearly close, no lunch eaten either way, and remember you're comparing the hottest possible Cayman.

Similarly I think you're misrepresenting Chris Harris's views on the same comparison- can you point me the where you think he "begs to differ"? He chose the 1M as the one car he'd want to daily drive two years in a row, price no object. So he's a pretty huge fan of the 1M. I'd like to see where you think he favors the Cayman.

Personally I've got a lot of seat time in both cars, both of the street and in competition. Zero question which one I prefer on the street. Don't assume accurate automatically mean better.