DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
...You're right, the 991 has grown bigger and heavier. Driving sensation is hard to define/describe but I bet the M2 for me will be much more 'sensational' than a M3/4 or 991S...
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
The more general question imho is:
When will the M2 replace the M3/4 as the sportiest (in terms of track performance - not straight line performance) BMW?
Despite the talk about weight reduction measures with F8x, BMW faces the problem of the ever increasing size of the base 3/4 series platform. Even with the F8x (according to real weighing tests) BMW "only" managed to stop the weight increase - a real improvement to the E9x has not happened.
That means a M2 WILL be lighter...
I hope BMW will slot the M2 to compete more with the Cayman(S) than the 911. Yes, Porsches are very different cars than BMW... but that aside, the M4 does match up more to the 911 than the Cayman (numbers, prospective buyers, etc.) That leaves room in the roost for a car that slots against Porsche's "driver's car"... the one that may not be their fastest, but drivers love the way it handles and feels on a track.

The M2 is the right car for BMW to build to address this segment, as it is will fill a void in their current lineup... one that many of us are seriously lamenting. With its wheelbase ~5" shorter than 3/4 series cars, the M2 will have a different feel than the M4. Presumably it will be appreciably lighter (and more nimble?), with less power as well. I'd expect it to be less GT/luxury-focused, but still retain the core creature comforts that many of us (even if we don't want to admit it) have come to appreciate. I doubt BMW will build it to lay down the fastest times around the 'Ring, but I have high hopes that this car will be their ultimate daily/track car... practical and livable on the street, capable and fun on the track.

In my opinion, the best thing BMW could do is build the M2 to be "BMW's answer to the Cayman S" - light and impeccably balanced... quick, sharp and precise with tenacious grip... but with the most desirable/practical of the M4's creature comforts to ensure that it sells well and is an enjoyable daily driver road car.