12-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #16
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I don't consider the N55 or S55 to be superior engines to the EJ25T at all, not in reliability or modability. You might lower your nose a bit on that one.

I'll agree with you on this one, the M2 feels much more solidly engineered than my '05 STi did.

If I could have found the used STi that I wanted ('05 with less than 10,000 miles, no mods), I would have paid $28K for it long before I would have paid $48K for my used M2 with 10,000 miles.

The M2 is good, but it's not +$20K good.

I can't speak for the new STi's, as the car died for me in 2006.
Look at the amount of money you have to spend to get 400hp at the fly

N54/N55 = FBO + tune + 93, yes after a few runs power will drop significantly because of the smallish turbos overheating but it won't blow an engine

EJ25 = At a minimum FMIC, BOV, fuel rail + 1000 cc fuel injectors, heavy duty timing belt, cold air intake, larger oil cooler, colder spark plugs, free flowing exhaust + a larger turbocharger + manifold...probably will also need engine reinforcement parts like H-beam rods, forged pistons, main bearings, cams, valves, valve spring and retainer kits, head gaskets, cylinder head stud kit...etc

Look at the amount of fuss you have to go through with an EJ25 to get to 400hp. I am not even talking about how long the clutch or the diff or the gearbox will hold at this power level since AWD is very hard on the drivetrain with tyres not spinning. Anyone who drag race an Evo or STi will know eventually either the diff breaks or the gearbox blows or an engine mount cracks.

That's why I went for an Evo because the Evo 9 version 4G63 can crack 380hp with just FBO + 100 RON (US 95) tune and Australia had 100 RON fuel back then. My Evo 9 was making around 500Nm of torque running 1.65 bar/24psi of boost but it was laggy because of the small 2L engine displacement. It was fast only when it was on boost where as in comparison the S55 can be fast anytime, anywhere. With the S55 one doesn't have to wait for power to come through, power is always available to be tapped into immediately. I would go through twin plates copper clutch on the Evo every 20k km and changing fluid was an expensive exercise it had to be done on the front diff, the rear diff, the AYC and the gearbox (every 10k km). I still miss the car but the M2C is definitely on another league in everyway.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 12-10-2019 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0