View Single Post
      12-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #14
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Many thanks to everyone for their comments

The only Japanese car I've ever owned was a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 RS

For those who are unfamiliar, it was essentially a lighter weight version of the standard USDM Evo 8

The main differences being no power windows, door locks, mirrors, radio, sound deadening material, rear wing or even ABS and the addition of a limited slip front differential

Only around 500 were imported to the USA

Although it was based off an economy car and the interior was very basic (apart from the Recaro seats) I actually found it to be very well built (especially considering the price)

It never had any mechanical problem of any kind, not a single thing ever broke on it and it never developed any squeaks, rattles or unusual noises

Even in completely stock form, it was one of the very best driving and most confidence inspiring cars I have ever experienced

Unlike most AWD cars, it had three mechanical LSDs (a helical gear front diff, a viscous coupling center diff and a clutch type rear diff)

As a result, understeer was minimal and oversteer could be easily controlled with the throttle

The steering was incredibly direct and provided phenomenal feedback

In many ways it reminded me of the E30 M3 (I've owned two) with its' boxy fender flares and easy to manage behavior at the limit, but with more power and grip

Simple bolt-on mods took things to a entirely new level and the 4G63 engine was considered essentially bulletproof with a proper tune, kept to reasonable boost levels and not over-revved

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand (sorry for the long winded preface)

The new S209

Subaru apparently made some revisions to the engine internals of the EJ25 starting with the Type RA and then later with all WRX STI models sold in the USA, so reliability is hopefully less of a concern than with earlier models

In any case, the pistons (while supposedly improved) are still cast

Early reports suggested that the S209 would receive forged pistons, but for whatever reason they decided against it

The S209 gets a larger turbocharger which provides slightly more boost (and possibly a little more lag) and is responsible for most of the 31 horsepower gain over the standard WRX STI

It also receives a freer flowing intake and mufflers with less backpressure

Furthermore, and it gets an upgraded fuel pump and larger fuel injectors

I suspect that the exhaust system will remain the most restrictive part of the system and will almost assuredly require changes or modifications for those in search of more power

There is also a new water spray system for the top mount intercooler, but I wouldn't expect it to provide much of a noticeable benefit (the water spray system on my Evo didn't)

Then again, my Evo had a front mount intercooler (which is something I would have liked to see on the S209)

The chassis and suspension changes to the S209 are significant and likely contribute the most to its' improved track performance

New dampers, springs, ball joints in place of several bushings, subframe reinforcements, a flexible front strut tower bar and flexible front and rear "draw stiffeners" are among the highlights

Track width and wheel width are also increased

Brakes remain essentially the same with the exception of upgraded pads

To accommodate these changes, the S209 receives a special wide-body kit, front canards, front and rear fender vents and a very Fast & Furious like rear wing

This, at least for me, is where things start to go downhill

IMHO, the current WRX STI is already kind of an ugly duckling to begin with and the S209 treatment isn't helping much (in fact, perhaps the opposite)

The widebody kit, canards and rear wing look more like an aftermarket job than a factory effort

Speaking of factories, final assembly of the S209 supposedly takes place at a special STI facility and not the standard production line

Perhaps that will mean a higher level of fit and finish (or maybe not)

It is the most expensive Subaru ever offered in the USDM at $65,000

Whether or not it's worth it would be a long discussion in and of itself, but given it's price point it's hard not to compare it with the M2 C which starts at $60,000

In terms of looks, quality, fit and finish I think few would argue against the M2 C

Nevertheless, I can't help but remain somewhat intrigued by the S209

The M2 C is clearly the winner in terms of straight line performance, but that advantage could very well disappear on a road course depending on the layout

The M2 C's superior (albeit more vulnerable to damage) cooling system should make it more suitable for extended track work

On the other hand, that EJ25 also means the S209 still has a hydraulic steering rack

Combined with an AWD system equipped with LSDs front and rear (although the electronic "driver controlled center diff" is a bit of an unknown variable for me since I've never used one) it starts to make me wonder which car I would feel more comfortable with exploring the limits at the track, but since I'm not an automotive journalist, I'll likely never get the chance

As far as daily drivability and practicality, I'd say it's a tie and would come down to individual preferences and/or needs

The M2 C has a nicer interior and a higher quality feel, while the S209 has four doors and AWD

Well, I think that's enough rambling for now

Last edited by 2020M2Competition; 12-10-2019 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 2