View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I traded in an '18 STi Limited three months ago and have a few thoughts...

I'd say on paper the M2 CS and S209 will be comparable at the track when looking at lap times. But what percentage of the time are you on the track at the limit? I also find it entertaining that BMW and Subaru/STi are using the exact same marketing formula for their CS & S209 offerings--mild upgrades to end of production cars with a large price increase.

I actually had my M2C and STi at the same time for a couple months so I was able to make direct comparisons. I had planned to keep both and use the STi as my daily but having both was redundant--"drivers" cars with a rough ride, not very practical (for my lifestyle), and poor fuel economy. But the STi was worse for everyday driving because that dog of an engine. It's miserable to drive because it's temperamental and sluggish at low RPMs. I have to assume the S209 would be the same, even with the extra 30(?) hp. And of course there's just no comparison of the EJ257 to the S55.

In the end I couldn't live with the Subaru and it had to go. Saying that I replaced it with a Fiesta ST should say something about how unpleasant the STi is to deal with on a daily basis.

I'll also mention that with a few suspension upgrades the regular STi really shines on the track. I assume that is how the S209 is getting such good lap times. After a couple track days I upgraded to RCE Bilsteins with a rear sway bar and was quite impressed, even with my novice/intermediate driving skills.
Appreciate 0