View Single Post
      02-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #121
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I think this is an interesting discussion. Someone brought up that lap times are not a good way to dictate whether or not you are going to buy this car...and i agree...about halfway.

Currently im waiting for my M2C. However i also have a fully track specced S2000 that i take to the track/autocross monthly.

I was actually looking between the Supra and the M2C before ultimately deciding on the M2C. I wont lie and say the majority of the winning vote was due to a lot of the more practical aspects of the M2C. 4 seats, more trunk space (you can actually fit a full set of wheels in the trunk/folded down back) plus the fact it still comes in a manual.

However after that i did look at laptimes, how people felt when driving at the limit, how the brakes felt, what the suspension was like, issues with over heating or problems with the turbo over extended laps. And honestly the cars were quite close. Having test driven a M240i i got a nice feel of the B58 engine. It impressed me that the car actually held up to the M2C in terms of performance on the track. And when i mean held up to, i'm talking about where i would be if i drove these two cars back to back. I'm not a pro driver, not by a long shot. The best i'd be able to muscle out of these cars is about 80-90% of what they can give so for me, the two cars have very similar performance numbers if i take my novice driving ability into account.

Due to that, the Supra actually almost won the vote due to it being about 10k cheaper and basically as good performance. However at the end of the day i realized that i really wanted a MT for when i autocross and being able to carry a set of track wheels in the car to the track was just so much more appealing.

Overall though, this car still will be my daily driver. The car that i still actually worry about track times is my S2000. As i bought it specifically for that. So in a sense i do agree that looking at lap times in order to determine which car to buy does seem pretty ridiculous especially when the car may only see the track minimally or not at all.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50