newcar55
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
What's more bizarre is you judge a car by its 0-60 pull...
Exactly. If someone wants the best 0-60 times, go buy a numb AWD car and initiate launch control at every red light possible. Or go buy a used Hellcat and throw a radial on it... Hell, for what I paid for the M2, I could have bought a used GTR. Which will do better 0-60? Gtr duh. Now which is more fun?

Quote:
Drive the M2C and then the Supra and you know how much more enjoyable the M2C is. The S55 revs faster and harder to redline, not to mention the redline is 7500 instead of 7000 on the B58.
The S55 is absolutely fantastic. Funny how no one cared about the B58 until it was in the nEw SuPrA!!1! Even with the detune, the S55 pulls hard almost all the way to redline. I've ridden in my buddies Supra, and while it pulls, it's not the same at all. I think it's mostly the short gearing the ZF8 that makes if feel much faster than it actually is.

Quote:
The whole comparison thing is moot to me anyway from a buyer's perspective since the Supra doesn't even offer a manual gearbox.
Or 4 seats, or a very usable trunk, or an attractive exterior...

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. If someone is buying a car solely based off lap times, they're buying it for entirely the wrong reasons... It's largely an emotional decision.

If you want a killer track car, go build a kit, or buy an Ariel, or mod a Miata... Not to mention that 99% of people spewing lap times are the same kids that think playing Forza makes them a good driver in real life. The comments sections on those articles and subsequent videos are FULL of people who have 0 intention of buying the car anyways. It's all moot.
I agree with your overall point, but you can't mock people for using lap times and then throw in comparisons like 4 seats and a larger trunk... these are sports cars not minivans for soccer moms. The only things we should be comparing are aesthetics and performance.

I also thought the Supra looked ugly until I saw it in person - it actually looks quite cool. However the S55 wins hands down and I think that and the other M goodies put the M2 on top imo. I wish we could've seen an M division modified Supra to showcase its true potential, as the chassis is almost certainly a better base than a standard 2 series.
Appreciate 2