View Single Post
      11-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Does that mean DCT oil changes are not necessary at all then?
I personally would but pretty much because of age of the oil (most DCT fluids have an acceptable shelf life of around 5 years before fallout happens, sometimes earlier if the car isn't driven much) rather than anything else. It's not so much a mileage thing for me.
When mine gets to around 5 years maximum (if I still have it then), I'll get it flushed and changed.
From a wear aspect, although the filter and magnetism should stop most of these issues from causing more problems, it's not 100%, and to also test at the same time and measure what wear metals and how much are present at the time to see if there is a more costly issue starting to creep up.

No gearbox at the moment is "fill for life" in any technology. What is fill for life? From an OEM aspect, it is merely the warranty period and nothing more. Usually, when cars finish their manufacturer's warranty, it's not their problem anymore. OEM's are under pressure to get fleet business as that is where the market is going in the developed world. If there is less maintenance in the "fleet period" usually less than 5 years, it makes that vehicle more attractive to the fleet companies, the issues will happen to the cars but from their perspective, hopefully after the fleet companies have turned the vehicle over to a second-hand private owner or the private buyer who bought it new has upgraded to the next model before any issues have occurred.

Then the spare parts division kicks in to play with very expensive genuine OEM parts aimed at the second and third owner of the vehicle.

Full disclosure, I'm an automotive lubricant product manager for ExxonMobil. OEM's are using my product range in their factory fills and I've had lengthy discussions at different levels about this but they don't care about the wrong use of "fill for life".
Appreciate 3
MetalMK228.50
smknjoe234.00
lab_rat394.50