Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphygmomanometer View Post
Although this thread has gone quite off topic I'd still like to weigh in though:
I realise people are different and those people also drive cars for different reasons but let's be honest here:
  • 0-100 km/h (or any other 0-something) times do not really matter because how often do you do drag or quarter-mile racing? If they did matter, you would get something else or tune your car anyway.
  • Top speed does not really matter (anymore). Cars are generally quite fast already and where can you go that fast anyway? Before somebody mentions Germany: I live close to the German border and I get to drive fast every once in a while but even then nowhere close to maxing out the car - because of traffic.
  • Lap times do not matter because even if I'd go on a track I very likely could not replicate those lap times and I am going to be so bold and say that most of you guys couldn't either.
I think that leaves just bragging rights which is definitely a thing, maybe even the thing, I must admit.

What we can have daily is 'sheer driving pleasure'. This should come natural to us BMW drivers. And that's where the M2 is a stronger proposition and probably the strongest proposition in BMW (M)'s current lineup. It's when it all comes together: Chassis, engine, engine sound, maybe some driver involvement in the shape of a manual gearbox, the seats, the steering. It's also where you cannot hide weight.

That's what made me look into the current M2: From among the current BMW models it probably is what comes closest to the E46 M3, the ultimate in all the points mentioned above. I just wish it had a n/a engine (and no PPF).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphygmomanometer View Post
That's what made me look into the current M2: From among the current BMW models it probably is what comes closest to the E46 M3, the ultimate in all the points mentioned above. I just wish it had a n/a engine (and no PPF).
See: 06:00 - 06:42
[VIDEO]
Yep, I've been saying it for a while now, but 2 is the new 3.