07-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #2270
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I mean, you could check when you come off track with a pyrometer? Also not sure what you mean by "cook them"

I had Gen1 PCCB on my GT3 and did multiple track days - the general words of wisdom is that you really need to swap pads at 50% life to avoid extra heat build-up

This is a very long thread on the Porsche PCCB - I was planning to get them re-surfaced once they started to wear - this was on a 2004
Thanks for the link. Sorry, by "cook them" I mean getting them up over 700C. This seems to be the point that the carbon in the rotor starts to oxidize. Even thought they claim they are good up to 1400C, but that is the Si structure that can sustain the higher temps. If you can keep your brakes below 700C, then they should last a very very long time.

I've also read about the pad swap at 50%. As well as ensuring a proper bed-in process, and running with traction control off on track, and adding cooling ducts.

I'm not a track rat and don't run at 9/10. I've yet to run across published data on rotor temps vs lap times at various tracks. I think this might give a bit more insight if this data were available. The heat paint is a day late and a dollar short. Setting up real time temp sensors is an option, but an expensive one.

How many sets of steel rotors and pads can be changed for the cost of the CCB option? Clean wheels is a big bonus, but I can pay someone to clean my wheels every week for a long time on 8K especially if a I use some of the cash to have them ceramic coated.

The weight savings is nice, but I think it's a bit overstated.

When discussing rotational mass. The largest gain is going to come from the lightweight wheels and lightened cup 2 tires. The disc is close to the rotational axis and the large but lightweight rotor still has an effective radius that is non zero. With CCB the steering should feel slightly easier to turn at speed and the wheels will be more "willing" to change direction.

The weight savings overall will help with energy efficiency/transfer. Braking, accelerating, fuel consumption.

Unsprung weight savings will help with driver feedback and tire to road connection.

I'm definitely pro CCB if there is a perceived difference, but I suspect it's going to be smaller than most would like beyond pedal feel.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
sdhotwn2128.50