View Single Post
      01-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #1220
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Interesting point. The nuance there is moment of inertia - the closer the weight is to the center of the rotation, the less impactful it is to this concept. Put another way, 5 lb lighter tire has more impact than a 5 lb lighter rim which has more impact than a 5 lb lighter brake rotor. A uniform disc like a flywheel is a little accurate from where comparing one to another is even. Way back in my college days when we were required to calculate this stuff you'd reduce the mass down to a point load, generate the approximate distance from the center radii, and then create the moment of inertia from that. For complex items (like a wheel) you'd do the calculus to sum the parts and find the correct moment, or do approximations on various points and average together etc... but I digress.

My short point is - yep, less rotating mass, but choosing lighter tires by a few lbs would make an even bigger difference (for example the Michelin Cup 2's are actually 2-4 lbs lighter than RE71R's at the same size).
Bingo. The closer to the hub the weight is, the easier it will be to spin that weight. I don't know the exact calculations, but I'm sure if someone was serious enough it wouldn't be too difficult, and would provide pretty good info. The CS, with it's lighter wheels / brakes (if optioned) / tires, and the extra HP, it will feel like an entirely different beast.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00