bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
It matters to me too. I agree with many complaints. It's very responsive at various RPM ranges. Top end? The turbo is A problem. We need something that can actually pull to 7500. The s55 isn't particularly happy at that level. It still falls off. Cooling? The s55 has cooling issues. The n55's air to air is just undersized. I'm telling you the n55 would be as "special" or more special than the s55 with a couple things. Water to Air, a larger compressor and some serious oil cooling. That's it. If anything it would be happier up top compared to the s55. Well and a lighter flywheel assembly.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, I don't care what designation they put on the motor. The letters and numbers don't matter to me. IMO, the S55 is a very powerful motor, but in terms of character, I'm not particularly impressed. So I agree with you, in part. It's not like the S55 is some kind of high bar by which we should measure the world.

Plenty of people are going to get angry at me for that, but it's my opinion. There is space in my mind for conflicting views. I appreciate the S55 for what it is, but I'm not willing to compromise further. If there's any wishful thinking going on, it's that the N55 is able to rise to the level expected of a proper sports car motor with a few bolt on changes.

I'd add that many of the things you listed don't enhance the character of the motor. They're basic requirements for a sports car engine. It's like saying, "I'd like a chair with four legs, but three will still do the job." Technically, a correct statement, but what the hell?! Is that the bar we're setting for BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
If anything it would be happier up top compared to the s55.
I had to extract this one. If you actually believe this, I'm not sure what to tell you. The N55B30T0 is going to be something just north of an N55 with a PPK. Care to venture a guess where PPK delivers the most power? Right in the mid-range. Know what that means? A cliff of a torque curve that makes the S55's torque curve look like pancake.

IMO, the only possibility of the N55B30T0 delivering a passable experience (from my perspective) will require the addition of a second turbo, and I have serious doubts about that happening. It wouldn't be completely unprecedented. I did some more research the other day, and there is some evidence that BMW is willing to change turbocharger configuration in order to increase performance. The N57D30T0 received twin-turbos where the N57D30T0 used a single turbo. It is notable that this is a diesel engine, however. I couldn't find a petrol version where the turbo configuration changed.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0