View Single Post
      12-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #174
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Thanks Crush, yes keep me in mind. I know most don't understand it but what made the 1M appealing to me was it's simplicity... A big-ass engine in a little car with no comfort buttons, no idrive, no fake sound just big-ass brakes, big ass tires, big-ass motor and it takes big-ass cojones to drive it at the limit with traction control off.

If you end up going to the dark side (just kidding!!!!) then please keep me in mind. Sadly, most 1Ms are being turned over to CarMax and dealers where they are marked up so high that they sit outdoors for up to a year with everyone and their friend driving them.

I did have a pump failure at 10K, also had window regulator issues. I know several 1M owners had intake tube failures and some early clutch failures. All of this would not be a problem with a paid off car but makes you think twice about getting a big car loan on a car without warranty when for the same money and M2 might make more fiscal sense. With that said, as good as the M2 is going to be, and I expect it to be great, it will only make the 1M more special because cars with NAV and iDrive are....zzzzzzzz a dime a dozen. Cars with comfort and sport buttons are ZZZZZZ a dime a dozen, same with iPad displays on the dash and now electric steering with comfort mode and comfort this as that. So to me, a car like the 1M becomes more special because the dash is clean and simple and for those that haven't driven one with traction control off in a spirited manner, know that you don't need any distractions and the last thing you need is a slow comfort steering when the beast decides to go sideways. So anyway, I have my name on the list for M2 but I do so grudgingly. If you find yourself wanting something else and you've taken good care of your car, please keep me in mind.

Finally, on buying a 1M and selling it right away, that doesn't work in California. You have to pay between 8-9% sales tax plus high registration. So you you buy a used 1M to drive it for a year, you are instantly out about $5000 for that one year.

Thank you.
Personally, I think stuff like NAV and technology is completely secondary to other things that are mechanical. When/if I order an M2, it'll be a lower optioned car, but I don't mind that it'll probably have iDrive without NAV.

There are so many things that I think the M2 will do much better than the 1M IMHO. While I don't think the the M2 will be as light as the 1M, nor will the EPS be as good as the 1M's hydraulic power steering, there are other things that will be better. I'm using my own E92 M3 in comparison with M3/4's I've test driven. The brakes will be much better, 0 questions. And if they do the rear of the car the same way as the M3/4 (i.e directly bolted to the chassis), then we've got a winner IMHO. We can also hope that the M2 will be as stiff as the M3/4. THAT, will make the M2 special IMO.

My 2 cents
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0