View Single Post
      10-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #66
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Phoenix Racing manifold came in a lot sooner than originally anticipated and I wasted no time getting it installed.

Overall this is a gorgeous piece to add to the engine bay and makes servicing the port injection much easier than the Fuel-It Kit. The injectors are top mounted as opposed to bottom mounted, and are literally on top of the intake manifold allowing for leaks, etc. to be seen immediately and easily. With the Fuel-It spacer I would have had to remove the intake manifold to fix any leaks on the injector side of things, whereas with the Phoenix Racing setup, I shouldn't ever have to remove the intake manifold again (knock on wood).

I did run into a couple issues with the N55 version of this kit and I'll go through them in detail here. I think BMS is going to fix the hardware issues I ran into, but I might as well mention them should anyone else decide to buy this manifold.

First issue was that there weren't replacement throttle body bolts in the N55 hardware kit. This might be intentional, and if it is then ignore this issue entirely. Otherwise, I don't know if this is M2 specific, but the OEM bolts used to secure the throttle body to the intake manifold are the plastic-chewing coarse thread variety and obviously won't work with a threaded aluminum intake manifold. Not a problem, thread pitch and bolt length were pretty standard and I was able to find some M8 x 50mm bolts at the hardware store.

Second issue was that one of the DME connectors - the one second from the left splits in two directions. The bundle of wires that goes toward the bottom of the engine bay heads into this "junction box" that is attached to one of the HPFP feed lines via a bracket (See picture below). Just to give you a landmark on that photo - you can see the throttle body charge pipe connection in the bottom right. The junction box is located to the right of the HPFP and essentially right below the intake manifold / behind the throttle body. Now the issue was that the bundle that goes to the DME connector from this junction box is slightly too short to reach the new DME position when its mounted to the Phoenix Racing intake manifold. With the new manifold the DME now sits slightly more horizontal, and you need an extra 2 inches on that bundle of wires to get it to clip in without straining the wires. Luckily this was an easy fix. I simply undid the mounting bracket and was able to move that junction box over to accommodate new DME position.

The final issue I ran into might be M2 specific. The M2 uses 5 studs and two bolts to hold the intake manifold to the head. The two OEM bolts are about 10mm too long to actually hold the Phoenix Racing manifold to the head, they bottom out in the threaded hole before the head of the bolt makes contact with the manifold. This is simply because the mounting surface of the Phoenix Racing manifold is thinner than that of the OEM plastic intake manifold. Again, easy fix! I picked up two M7 x 40mm bolts to replace the M7 x 50mm OEM bolts and got the intake manifold installed.

It fits nicely in the engine bay and looks absolutely gorgeous. It also makes servicing the port injection component of the vehicle 10x easier because I no longer have to remove the intake manifold to access the injectors.

Appreciate 1