View Single Post
      06-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I have always felt that a DCT operating in automated mode at low speeds felt the way a beginner would drive a manual transmission. Awkward and jerky. Feels that way in some high RPM conditions too. Add I have driven a lot of DCTs.

In manual mode they can be outstanding. But then again, if it's a true manual transmission with a good clutch and shifter, that can be outstanding too, in a different way. I much prefer the involvement of a true manual transmission. While a DCT is superior in some ways, it just cannot live up to that same type of experience.

I think most reviewers who pan DCT are in that ballpark -- they just prefer manual transmission. A smaller subset are trying to insinuate it's not a true/proper sports car transmission, but that really doesn't fly since there are so many competent DCTs these days, including in supercars where it's the only choice.

Now if someone buys DCT because they don't know how to drive a manual transmission and DCT is the closest they can get to an automatic, then to me that is kind of lame. Buy a DCT because it's better, not because you can't drive a stick.
Appreciate 0