2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Am I the only one who is thinks it's absurd that the m2 is more than 500lbs heavier than the e46??
Than the CSL*

The normal E46 M3 has a curb weight of 1,549kg in US spec which is not too much less than the US M2 depending on who is reporting the numbers.

The CSL is crazy light compared to the standard M3, the trunk floor is cardboard, roof is carbon fiber, etc
Yeah I know what the csl is... they are doing a direct comparison between the two which is why I mentioned what I did...
There's almost 15 years of technology advancements between the two cars, you would think weight savings would be a huge part of bmws R&D for this car but clearly not
Actually weight savings IS a big priority at BMW, but the added safety systems for modern regulations add a lot of weight. Consider that the F80 is lighter than the E92 and that the G80 is supposedly lighter than the F80... it's getting lighter despite growing in size. The M2's limiting factor in weight savings is cost and what the average M2 customer wants in a "luxury" sports coupe. Carbon fiber hood, aluminum panels, less sound deadening, single zone HVAC etc either add cost and/or take away some creature comforts.

If you want to know how much a truly lighter M2 would cost look no further than the Porsche 718 and those start at $60k but skyrocket with options.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0