View Single Post
      10-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #32
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I'm going a bit off topic, but I'm curious and confused. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. I'm just postulating here...

Technically aiming for 50/50 weight distribution (or any distribution at a standstill) doesn't matter, since a spoiler is going to add more weight via downforce to the rear on a track?

I was looking at the initial pictures showing 55/45 and was thinking "okay, so a carbon hood and fenders might correct that, and would make sense to keep the metal trunk."

So if you're aiming for a specific weight distribution (I don't know what distribution is best, but it doesn't matter for the sake of this topic), you would need to calculate that in a wind tunnel with wind speeds set at the average speeds of the tracks you would most likely be racing on?

What I'm getting at is... weight distribution doesn't matter as much as people say, is that correct?
There are a few absolutes and a few variables in this discussion. All weight reduction, absent other changes, is good....better acceleration, braking and handling. Weight distribution at 50/50 is preffered, but obviously can not be obtained in many cars, especially FWD, so the suspension set up must address this imbalance. If you just add a wing to a well balanced car you will also need a front spoiler/splitter to even out the effects. Finally, various drivers prefer different handling attributes...young guys like oversteer and old guys ( like me) prefer neutral or slight understeer.
Appreciate 0