View Single Post
      03-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #47
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I've said this before but to me this isn't even a topic of discussion. The M228/M235/240i is a hideous looking car to me. It's skinny and slab sided absolutely disgusting looking to me. For those that want to tell me the M2 is based on this car save it. They may as well be entirely different models the M2 is good looking and muscular and in my eyes is a different car altogether.

The only reason we are having this discussion is BMW built the M2 out of the corporate parts bin. Why isn't this conversation had with the 340i vs M3? The reason is that the M3 while based on the 3 series platform features many bespoke elements that allow it to stand alone. No 3 series can touch it it's not even a discussion. The brilliance of BMW is that they are able to take a consumer grade platform and create a fantastic M car. This is all the more true with the M2 because it lacks bespoke elements and they still pulled off a cohesive car that wins accolades. They took an existing platform and went to the parts bin put it all together and made the thing work really well. It hangs with actual purpose built machines like the 718.

I wish they had included some unique bespoke elements to the M2 (beyond body panels) so annoying comparisons like this would not even occur.
Appreciate 1