View Single Post
      06-28-2023, 11:51 AM   #334
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
The majority of drivers car about straight line acceleration as they can flex that more often. I don't live close to any twisties anymore, just city driving in Chicago, so I can rarely take advantage of the handling of my RSX-S.

The ITS is already at MSRP, you just had to look (threads on some of the ITS forums had dealership listed). The CTR MSRP just makes the $7K jump look insane, but that's because nobody is getting the CTR at MSRP.

BMW options are less than you'd think. Comparing apples to apples, I just had to add the heated steering wheel to the ITS, bringing the total to about $51.5K, a RWD M240i with premium & HK is $51.7K. A similar spec'd M340i is just over $60K a hinted.

Z's are interesting as the base model sounds like such a steal at first, but then you realize it lacks so many goodies (most notably a LSD). When you get the performance version, it's way to close to the Supra imo, especially now that it has a 6MT option that used to be a major selling point of the Z over it.

Agree on the BRZ/86. If I was 10-15 years younger I would have had one of those instead of my RSX-S.

Finally, I agree that driving at 90% is generally more fun. That's why I would want something extreme like a Lotus Elise as a side car, but a heavier, more luxurious, AWD beast like the M240i for a daily.
That's exactly right... most folks will say why have all that straight line power and speed when you can't use it anyways... well i always ask the reverse... where in the world am i supposed to use this handling? I can't take turns at 9/10s nor do I live in a canyon, curved area... most roads in this country are flat and YOU can always use power, at least to a degree.

Even most boring cars i.e. Teslas, heavier SUVs and Cars lean towards power over handling... why? because manufacturers know that's what almost everyone is looking for in a daily driver over handling (that could also compromise comfort)... this is what BMW does so well IMHO, a good mix.