02-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #35
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
"To me the evidence is clear that my stock DV was leaking boost"

Do you mind sharing the evidence? There are tons of people running 18psi on the stock diverter valve with no issue.
I do mind sharing the evidence actually, you are arguing that the sky isn't blue so why should I bother?

"The boost difference at 4,750 rpm was 12.7psi fairly costantly over and over on stock DV versus 13.5psi at the same RPM's over and over with the Turbosmart unit installed."

I'm sorry, but this is impossible. The valve is controlled by the DME to release boost when the car is above target. A different valve will not make more boost. And if there was a leak, you would not see more boost either by swapping, as the DME will close the valve more to reach the target boost. If you do see more boost than the target, you will get an overboost CEL. The only way you'll see higher boost is with a tune to change the target.
Cool story

"but you do know in different driving modes the DV opens and closes at different times. What I've noticed is the valve opens and vents to atmosphere the most in MDM or comfort mode. In Sports+ the valves (stock or aftermarket) hardly open and when they do, it's closed quickly"

So let's say different driving modes open and close the valve different. I agree it does that, less boost in comfort mode for less power. However, changing your valve is going to change how and when the DME open/closes the valve. Like I said above, there is a boost target the DME adheres to. Also, not sure if you were implying it or not, but with the dual port model, the DME does not decide how much gets vented to atmosphere and how much gets diverter back into the intake. It is a static rate at which both ports are open. I think it's 50/50 between them. Unless you wire in a separate control for each, but that isn't what is happening here.
I've read further about the dual ports and they are meant to be staged, meaning, when you are driving around town the valve opens but as it's not opening as much it recirculates, when there is more pressure it vents to both recirculation and atmosphere biassed to recirc

"but in reality how many people have actually noticed a drop in responsiveness from vent to atmosphere versus full recirculation?"

Everyone?
https://www.google.com/search?q=vent...hrome&ie=UTF-8
cool story, a few internet warriors say so, so it must be true the internet also mostly says cold air intakes ad 25hp

"and when I'm done with it I can put it on eBay and get most of my money back. I'm just grinning ear to ear."

This point is moot because you're gonna spend more on labor swapping the part to sell on ebay than you will get for it.

Or I can spend a couple of hours on a weekend taking the DV and the charge pipes and intercooler and dump pipe off putting it back to stock and selling them online, definitely well worth doing, and taking them off and going back to stock is so much easier and quicker to do then putting aftermarket stuff on

"Theory is one thing, but it's what actually happens in real life that counts."

That's kind've a weird belief. It's the theory that makes people believe something will work before they attempt it. No one built an electric car without a theory it will work first.

Is it? Again all the theory about car design goes against what Porsche actually proves to work, what about wing theory? Wing theory tries to explain how the wing of a plane works, we know a wing design works but don't actually know for sure how it really works, it's still a theory and not proven. There are more factors going on in the background of turbo systems than what you have simply put, I do wish my knowledge on the subject was better to really get into it, but I'll leave it here as I don't like making things up for the sake of a discussion at the risk of creating another automotive rumor

Overall, seems like a bunch of snake oil you're pushing. Which is what I get every time I ask question about the TS product.
I'm not pushing anything and never have, I simply stated my experience to which you had an issue with I get it, you don;t like BOV's, good for you, others do and if it gives me the sound I want and extra power with an earlier boost, then where is the issue? It's my money, I can spend it how I like

But really, the most important question is... What is the advantage to the TS valve over the cheaper GFB DV+? Let's say the plumb back works just as well as the GFB DV+, I'm not saying it doesn't, why should someone purchase it over the DV+?
Oh, you're one of "those" forum users?

How dare I speak of my own first-hand experience with this product in my car?

What do you want me to say? The increased power, torque, boost and boost curve moving forward even though it's been recorded by dyno and logs (dyno OBD logs) and my feeling of the before and after are all just in my head?

I'll not share my personal experiences with new products for our cars going forward. Clearly you already know it all

Yet another forum bully who hasn't any first-hand experience with a particular product telling those who have used the product that their results are wrong lol

Why do I care if other people are running 18psi on the stock DV? Good for them? I didn't originally know I was only getting 12.7psi when it looks like I should have been getting 13.5psi? Maybe they are running 18psi when they should be getting more if they didn't have the leak?
Again I ask if you have actually seen how these things seal? It's two hard surfaces trying to seal, it's like having a plastic cup of water, you turn it upside down and try and seal it closed to the metal surface of a sink, sure it will seal enough, but you will be losing water slowly, just like how the OEM valve "seals".
As I originally mentioned I bought it for the sound, I did before and after dyno originally for the BMS air intake as the internet says very mixed things about air intakes, according to some "internet experts" I would see a drop in power, other "internet experts" said no change in power and other "internet experts" said I would see an increase in power.
I've got access to a fully enclosed atmospherically sealed and fully controlled hub dyno (I've got dozens and dozens of engine bay testing rigs at my disposal, but that's a lot harder to do having to pull the engine out of the car and get a hold of when OEM's are paying a lot of money to use them) and actual real-world automotive engineering experts (not just grease monkeys) at work as I work for Exxon Mobil Lubricants so it doesn't cost me anything other than my time to do it.

On stock tune (car is currently still stock) the BMS air intake made no difference to power, torque, boost, anything really. Other than a louder induction sound $450AUD for sound.

The Turbosmart unit made a difference worth mentioning and I wasn't expecting it to happen. I share my experience and then I get ridiculed by someone on the internet telling me it's impossible?

I'm not too worried though, I literally know EVERYTHING there is to know about lubricants, and I still get "internet experts" trying to school me on the basics of what oil to put in a particular car

Mate I've got metal charge pipes, a decat and an intercooler ready to put on the car and will have it tuned at the same time. I'd like to share my first-hand experience and findings on the parts with other forum users, but now I'm worried I'll offend an internet expert?

Didn't you originally think this product was a pneumatic product rather than an electronic product and that it was 100% vent to atmosphere? You didn't even know what the product was originally, yet you still had an opinion on it

[QUOTE=Anthony1s;25830366]" Aren't they pneumatic, meaning they vent slower than the OEM and DV+ options. Also aren't they binary open/close, meaning they won't decrease lag as the progressive DV+ would? Also, they have one single port option, which vents entirely to atmostphere, leading to increased lag."

Anthony, you and people like you are the reason people like me who could be providing useful first-hand information about our vehicles and modifications to them don't bother posting anymore. I'm literally here giving my first hand experience and you're now out to get me? Or GFB? or Turbosmart? I'm not even sure you know who you are after anymore?

As for GFB vs Turbosmart, they are usually the same thing, I haven't spent much time on the GFB option in a while, months ago I decided to try Turbosmart and thus far no issues and i'm happy with the sound I get and bonus extra power

As for one over another, in this case it's not for me to say, I haven't used the DV+ in this car.

Both will probably do a similar job, one is a plug and play and you can revert to stock easily, and the other you need to fiddle with the OEM part for it to work and if you want to go back to stock you'll need to buy a new OEM part and I guess could mean a potential warranty claim issues if it's the wrong OEM version maybe? just a thought?

Basically I like the product, it does what it's meant to do, plus I got more out of it than expected which makes me feel good about my purchase.

Have fun replying, I've had enough of Mr know it all and I'm grown up enough to now move on until the next forum troll has a go at me for simply stating my valid experience.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2264.50