09-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #104
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Do you think it'd be fine without WMI? Just PS2 and XDI-35? On 93 octane.

I'm thinking of doing all three in the future, but am undecided on the WMI. It adds quite a bit of complexity, but the benefits seem well worth it.
I think running without methanol at higher boost levels is kind of playing with fire... mainly for two reasons. One of which is octane, the other is heat soak. WMI adds a huge boost to octane and does a wonderful job of absorbing the excess heat produced from running higher boost through the PS2. Low-ish octane in addition to added heat, and running more power through the OEM block is a recipe for disaster! I would do everything you can to keep the engine happy, even if it's not necessarily needed. Water-methanol is rarely a bad thing!

That being said, if you're looking for 425 to maybe 450wHP, I think that's doable on 93 octane with mild timing assuming the 93 octane you have access to is actually 93 octane. I believe the OEM HPFP is capable of handling that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I thought you had the xdi pump. You're going ot need to hit 500whp. I am speaking from personal experience. The stock hpfp runs out of fuel up top, and it's nearly impossible to get meth to make up for it. If you were running pure alchohol and no gasoline, it might be a different story.
I think the "near impossible" to hit 500wHP without the XDI-35 pump comment is a little extreme! Plenty of cars have made 500 wHP with the PS2 turbo well before the XDI-35 HPFP was available. Both PWG and EWG. Charge-pipe methanol injection would for sure have issues making up for the fuel volume required, but it can be done. Port methanol injection - 100% doable, and not very difficult I would say.

That being said, it also requires you to be very diligent in making sure your WMI setup is functional, and 100% operational. Not exactly "comforting" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I am running all 3 now, but I don;t have port injection, just WMI injection into my charge pipe for cooling.

I can tell you that a few things from reviewing my logs:

The PS2 runs hot as hell, and there are very few air to air intercoolers that can keep up. On pump fuel & XDI35, you can't run more than 22psi without running the turbo outside its efficiency range and generating a ton of heat. The M2 ecu is VERY picky regarding temps and pulling timing. I have a custom built WMI setup, and it's running off an AEM controller that uses boost sensing to trigger the spray. Spray amount is directly related to boost level. It works amazingly well!!! It keeps my IAT within 10 degrees of ambient, no matter how hard I run the car. On full spray, when I'm doing a long 4th gear pull, it will actually bring the temps to ambient, which is mind blowing to me. I hope that info is useful.
I agree with this. The PS2 definitely runs hot when running high boost, no doubt about it. I don't live in a hot climate, the max ambient temps we see here are about 95F (35C) without the humidex. Those days usually only last a couple of weeks in July/August, and then the temps hover around 80F (26C). in these temps the water methanol keeps my IAT's down, but you definitely see them start to come back up toward the end of a multiple gear pull. They definitely don't get "hot" to the point where I'm concerned, and I think in part that's because of how massive the CSF intercooler is - but I can imagine in much hotter climates this issue is a lot more of concern.

I don't see IAT's much higher than ambient, but I think that's just due to our not-so-hot climate!

switlikbob Did you ever figure out the HPFP noise? Are you using the BM3 XDI-35 option or is it a custom tune? I was wondering if you ever remedied the issue, or tracked down as to what caused it! Under what conditions did it occur? Can't wait to get my pump installed.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50