03-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #200
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I respect your conviction to this product but as you're aware, the clutch releases is hydraulic; so you ever thought that maybe BMW engineered the dead pedal engagement with added layer of safety to weed out the possibility of air in the system or a certain amount of lower fluid per push to release clutch would be taken up by the extra slack.

I sincerely doubt there is a slight play built it the system just to mess with us..

Not going to go back and forth on this as we both have our own opinion on this product, I just to play it safe, as you roll the dice.
I wouldn't say it's conviction, I really didn't want to use it I just had no choice because I found that I wasn't hitting the clutch all the way down anyways due to the excessive clutch throw.

It could definitely be a safety for bubbles, but if that were the case they would need alot more dead space because I've had a badly bled clutch before and you could bottom out the pedal and it still wouldn't disengage. Or more likely they just did this so they didn't have clutch engagement at the bottom of the pedal stroke (which would feel super weird to drive). But most cars have this dead pedal probably because it would be alot of engineering work to figure out how far to make the pedal arm swing based on the pivot point and arm length, and they just made it go as far as possible without hitting the carpet.

Dead pedal throws also develop with age as the clutch wears and now you don't have to press the pedal as far to disengage the clutch. So I really doubt this is purposely engineered as all cars have this dead space, some worse than others.

Yeah playing it safe is the best way, but we are "all rolling the dice" if we decide to modify the car anyways, so it's all based on risk tolerance. But careful testing and research can mitigate alot of this unforeseen probability, so it is not all left to chance.

I wonder if there is a clutch inspection window on these cars, that would be easier to check engagement that way.