12-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #151
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I agree, but something tells me rather than being right in the middle of the M240i and M2, I think it's going to be on the closer side to the M240i. What they could do is make you add options to inflate the price (which wouldn't concern me really, not interesting in too many options anyway).

It'll be interesting for sure. Also, I think they have to watch out for the F80 as well. While it may not be a coupe, if the price between an M2 and M3 is close enough (M3 starts lower than M4), I can see many people not being too interested in the M2 IMHO.

I honestly think very low $50k is doable (with no options).
I thought a bit more about this pricing structure within BMW's own lineup, using the online model comparison tool. After comparing the 550i @ $65k with the 650i GC @ $90k, I've come to the conclusion that BMW will price the M2 however the hell they want to as long as they make some sort of pre-defined margin per car. They will take into account any possible cannibalization of sales of the higher margin cars, conquest sales from other brands, moon phase, beard length of the master brewer over at Spaten, etc, etc. Nothing else explains how they figured out a $15k difference for two cars with, as far as I can tell, identical content but with one having a lower roof and swoopy rear window.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0